27 March 2011

sanctify yourself

I love music.

It's a second language to me, one I truly understand and at times the only one I have felt able to convey. Like the way you can sometimes read a foreign language but you'd be hard pressed to speak it with any ease, I know music Biblically without playing it.

Music has a multitude of purposes in my life, and has changed its tone, timbre, and meaning for me as time has passed. When I was first looking through hundreds of ideas for my first thirty post challenge, I continued to come across song challenges, but I felt that I wanted to have the opportunity to write about real things and to have the chance to resurrect my passion for photography. Personally, I feel I succeeded at both.

But music is real to me, though. For years movies were my life and music was my hobby, so to speak. Some of the most evocative movie moments have been due to the music selections marrying striking imagery and/or story and character content. I know I take music more seriously than most people. I will often be the first to note a specific ironically, out of place or not often heard in public song in the grocery or know when a party is dying because the music selection is subconsciously bringing everyone down.

I hear music in everything in life, from the humming of the morning birds, to the din of conversation between friends in the adjoining apartment, or the roar of ocean waves beating the hell out of the shore. I suppose the choice to use the rhythmic and surprisingly musical traffic sounds breakdown at the center of Lovin' Spoonful's "Summer in the City" is one of the reasons I love that song.

My taste in music is wide and quite notably eclectic. I have been known to say that I like so much music I barely have taste in it. I have never understood people's affinity toward one specific artist at the exclusion of all others.


That said here's the next blog challenge I am undertaking:

(01) a song that you love to dance to
(02) favorite song to sing in the shower
(03) a song that makes you think of your loved one
(04) a song that you only know the chorus to
(05) a song that makes you think of kissing
(06) a song from that would be played when you kill someone
(07) a song that reminds you of being warm
(08) a song that you want to play at your funeral
(09) a song that makes you laugh
(10) a song that gives you the chills
(11) a song from your favorite band/artist as a child
(12) a song that you would sing as a lullaby, but isn't a traditional lullaby song
(13) a song that turns you on
(14) a song that makes you fall asleep
(15) a song that you know all the words to
(16) a song that you listen to when you’re happy
(17) a song that you listen to when you’re angry
(18) a song that you wish you could play
(19) a song from a band/artist you hated as a child
(20) a song that no one would expect you to love
(21) a song whose title is a name you would want to have
(22) a song from your favorite album
(23) a song that you listen to when you’re sad
(24) a song that reminds you of middle school
(25) a song that reminds you of your first crush
(26) a song that surprises you that you like it
(27) a song that you used to love but now hate
(28) a song that you can play on an instrument
(29) a song that describes you as a teenager
(30) a song that you wish you had written

No comments:

Post a Comment