15 March 2011

lost. found.

Digital cameras have spoiled us. It used to be that we'd have to be selective with the images we capture, the images that would fill our hallways and photo albums, but now we have the luxury of snapping as many moments of time as we'd like since we can go back and delete the bad ones. The truth is we can't delete the bad ones . . .

I wrote that in March of 2007.

It speaks to my current philosophy of life.

This blog has hit on the subject of psychological meandering, social cleansing, and emotional stagnation in varying degrees before. Today's query: five things that you have lost and where you think they went.

(1.) YOUTH

(2.) PAST RELATIONSHIPS

I will stop there. I recognize that I am immediately drawn to the bigger, meatier subjects when posed when this question. Why does my mind work like that? Why couldn't I just ponder that nifty pencil with the cool eraser from the third grade that never left my Trapper Keeper without my say so? Or the Fall Guy lunchbox I remember having, but certainly don't recall discarding.

Frivolities tend not to interest me, so I do end up entangled in what others deem seriousness.


What sorts of things are ever really lost? People move in and out of our lives, love has been known to come and go, jobs are supposedly a dime-a-dozen, and possessions find incidental new homes. What really stands out to me is that the things we lose often open up our lives for significant gains, thus allowing us to reform into stronger, more valuable, more genuine, and better people. Ideally, anyway.

And I think this was a stupid question.

No comments:

Post a Comment