13 March 2011

gossamer wings

Love is in the air
Everywhere I look around
Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound . . .


Asked to define love, what would be your response?

My thoughts run plenty of directions, but none of them are solid or definitive. There are innumerable types of love. A flurry of lyrics and poetic tidbits make their way through my mind. These are followed by a series of scenarios and ways that love demonstrates itself. Then it rolls to opposition statements, revealing what love is not and what it could hardly mean. We bat around the word when we have little else to say, describing what we think of a band, movie, or flavor explosion.


I feel it arrives at our doorsteps in its own unique fashion, in many ways different for everyone. When we're young we attempt to mimic the ways and means of what we see in our small worlds. It takes time and growth to fully find yourself in its reflection. I have loved much in the past, whether it was favorite toys or high school girlfriends, but with life's changing tides the word hardly means the same thing.

Perhaps that's the point. For each of us, the word means something different depending on where we are on our life's path. A year ago tonight saw the closing night of the last play I directed. Due to more than the challenging intensity of the piece, it was an extremely trying one fraught with behind the scenes drama, but one that offered one-of-a-kind experiences for its audience. For all of the warts and scars of getting there, I absolutely loved working that show. One could perceive that it took me at least eight years of toiling in and around the arts to get there.

The winds had already begun to change for me by that next week. I have come to find that opportunities cross our paths when we are ready for them, whether we are looking for them or not. With this came a love like I have never felt or shared before. Suddenly the lyrics to love songs started to make sense as did so much more. One epiphany moment after another transpired, and my life continues to quake with the ripples of this. The love I believe I felt for the little girl I married in the first grade isn't even part of the same emotion as what I feel for the goddess in my universe now, but I also wouldn't incorporate the complexity of Miles Davis' later years or the aleatoric nature of John Cage into a Music 101 course either.

No comments:

Post a Comment