30 June 2008

vicious circle

The short film has been on my mind lately. A lot!

Mainly, this is the case because it's going nowhere fast. Right now it's just a theoretical idea and there's a mere month to get through development into pre-production and then into production. Three weeks have gone by with my continued efforts to keep things afloat and communications frequent and concise, but when there's no reciprocation things become a nearly unmanageable challenge.

I haven't even seen a revised script, which is like a creative blindness for me. The impending time constraints that are tightening as the days chug along have left me seeking out involvement from my actor friends. We don't have any crew leftover who have not either left town or become unresponsive. If I start to tap into my production connections, it opens up quite a can of worms.

Given the set is populated with people who I've grown accustomed to and created a rapport with, then why would we be making the film of a completely inexperienced unknown writer-director? Why not instead make something I wrote, for example? This was not an aspect when I thought I was helping guide the production with this guy's people and resources. This is not the project I "signed" up for, by any means.

2 comments:

  1. If you can, try to take a deep breath & remember way back when you hadn't even worked on a film yet...How impossible *that* seemed then! :)

    True, the medium seems populated with the totally unorganized (in general), but don't let (as Bridget Jones says) fuckwits get you down or keep you from your goals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stevie: I hear ya - I hear ya (that was both ears)! Fuckwits - I forgot that one - should I ever take the James Lipton survey that would have to be in the running for "favorite curse word". I often forget that this industry attracts a lot of slackers and people who assume it's the easy way out - for some insanely financial successful Hollywood types - this is the case. As for me, everything's a fuckin' chore!

    ReplyDelete