16 June 2008

losing amy


When in need of anything else, life will offer you closure.

Today I got some closure. I heard from my friend and partner about the stage adaptation I wrote for a favorite film. "They" offered an emphatic, 'no'. I understand the fears that may manifest themselves. There's the concern about another bunch of fingers molesting one's baby, and all that. It's too bad, though. I feel that there will always be a throne between the successful types and "Us", who they once were.

I'll admit it was a long shot.

There's always a long shot involved in putting forth effort without a known pay-off at the end. I see clearly, though. For me, the pay-off was finding my way through writing an adaptation for the first time, sending a stamped self-addressed envelope to a famous figure of pop culture, and getting to spend more quality creative time with my good friend.

As it turns out, there's still a slot open for me in the next theatre season. Now I have to figure out what I want to direct. Given the passion I felt for this lost material, it's going to be a challenge to discover something that hits me the same way, but I need to find it quickly.

So, any suggestions?

--

Added a couple hours later:

This was my work horoscope for today -

"You don't need a vast and riotous victory. A little success could still give you a small glimpse of happiness. So focus on the smaller issues and leave the broader ones for tomorrow."

Well, I found it interesting, at least.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry those schmucks couldn't see the brilliance of the whole idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stevie: you're much too kind - especially considering what you thought of those schmucks before I even tried. who needs him - more time for my stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah HA. Got it. Am now caught up. I'm so sorry! Truly a loss to the art world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. boundary: thanks! sorry to co-dependently pester you about catching up on the blog. as far as the loss, I like to think of these things as being akin to wrinkles on an old person's face - the story itself becomes far more vivid and interesting than the polished appearance of a life of ease. at least, that's what the idealist in me would like to believe I think.

    ReplyDelete