12 July 2012

in(visible) touch





I'm being punished for making my job look easy.
~Roger Sterling (Mad Men ep.3.6)
The shake-up at work has burdened my mind lately.

Let's get a few things out of the way, though. Initially I only applied to work there as a last resort. I hesitated accepting my first position. And I am loathe to working for a large corporate entity whose interest in their employees well-being and morale is a sixteenth afterthought.

This is not my calling. This is not where I belong long term, but I am still insulted that I wasn't given the respect of even a professional thanks for my temporary store management. And to add insult to injury, it has become continually necessary to translate the way I do things into trainable terminology for the old hag who took over my role.

That's the most peculiar of all. I remember in grade school having to explain the procedure of doing something simple, such as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was an exercise in communication. Some of its impact comes from recognizing how much we internalize.

The way we do things doesn't necessary flow into words. Maybe we've found a ritual or a quick and easy system that makes sense to us, but when spoken doesn't have a logical flow. There's an underlying current to our every motion that can't be taught. I deem it impossible and impractical to demonstrate to someone else how to be us. Consider for a moment an actor developing a character from a real life person.

My workplace is continually looking for best practices in terms of dealing with customers. It's one of the reasons most of the sales world irritates the piss out of me. It's kind of like dating. In theory everyone has a line. It's just not as discernible coming from a smaller percentage of people. The rest of them sound like disingenuous, smarmy robots.

(180)

No comments:

Post a Comment