06 March 2012

undercover boss


Piss or get off the pot . . .

It just hangs there like something anti-climactically scrolled across a bathroom wall. Common expressions tend to be that way. One moment they are idle phrases and suddenly their truth reveals itself loud and clear.

There's a curse to being born with an artistic drive and another to being but a weekend voyager in the game. As time has worn, I have found that one can play both hands. Over the years I have found myself friend, confident, comrade, and simply linked to one artistically inclined person after another. For a long while I traveled almost exclusively in the circles that would harness this subculture, whether amongst my collegiate brethren, my writer's circles, or while passing through set after production set.

Passion can be a fickle foe or it can be a forgetful friend. Some have left the craft behind for the professionals while others have forged ahead, finding money to be made from their art. I have rattled around somewhere in between, like that metal ball that lives inside a spray paint container, occasionally making a stir but rarely being seen as a force behind the end result.

Holding back has little place in this life.

(110)

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. What if the Mayans are right and life as we know it will end on Dec. 20th? What barriers would fall away for you, then?

    ReplyDelete