26 March 2012

residual damage


Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.
~ Semisonic ("Closing Time" - 1998) via Seneca

We weave in and out of one another's lives much like traffic flows through an intersection. The longer we live the more complex the design, and the more likely the nasty collision.

Allowing someone back into the fold of your life is a complicated matter. As time passes and change takes hold, we can't always be assured of an easy fit. I have found this to be the case since opening myself up to letting an old friend back into my life.

He was the person I considered my best friend. And he was someone with whom I shared confidences and secrets unknown to most and certainly my at the time estranged spouse. The fact that a relationship between them ensued following the crumbling debris of that whole matter should come as no surprise to anyone who knows the in and outs of melodrama.

This past January I broke my silence with him. It felt like the right time, and I was in the right mindset to spot clean the slate. There's still a ton of baggage stacked at the foyer of our new beginning, however. Not all relationships can move forward with war wounds like this, especially when those involved were fighting on opposite sides.


(127)

No comments:

Post a Comment