22 March 2012

calm warning


When I was solely focused on filmmaking as the end all and be all in my artistic life, I would collect quotes and advice from writers and directors I admired. Pedro Almodovar has been making brash, beautiful, brilliant cinema for several decades. I once read an interview of his wherein he said, "I think it is very important to be born in a place that you don’t like, because it establishes very early on the things you are going to confront in your life.”

My sister wages this war well. She puts up her dukes, unearths and exploits her past again and again, in literal terms. I go about it differently. I'll grant her the means she battles her rival. I have found my own method of weaving strands of this pain into what I write and what I create.

Everyone needs a nemesis.

We all need that something else that runs counter to us, assuring us where we stand. Democrats need their Republicans just as vegans wouldn't be the same without their meat eaters. Lovers need their exes. And Kurtis Blow needs his breaks. Britney defected against the music and CBGBs took things out on the disco ball. From our opposition we stand. We can't fit everyone into our bubbles, and buying the world a coke isn't going to remedy a damn thing. From it all arrives some truth, though. The things we loath and the things that challenge us the most are also what bring us most fully out of our shell and into focus.

(126)

No comments:

Post a Comment