12 September 2011

anima cruelty

pol·i·tic (adj.)
1. Using or marked by prudence, expedience, and shrewdness; artful.
2. Using, displaying, or proceeding from policy; judicious.
3. Crafty; cunning.

Undertaking this new play certainly looked like a much more pleasurable journey four months ago when I waited with bated breath to know whether or not my show had been selected. I was never told directly, which was contrary from expectation. I found out when the theatre's website was updated, thus beginning the first of many communication failures.

The theatre continues to refer to this as a transitional year. From my stance, it has been one that has left my show out in the cold time and again. So much energy, time, and personnel were expended on the season opener, leaving mine to feel like the second child who wished there were more old pictures of them in the photo albums and that the collection of clothes weren't all hand-me-downs.

I knew that there would be challenges in having the Board President on my team as stage manager, but since I had considered her amongst my friends and since she seemed to enjoy the show so well, I went forward with it. I have now found myself working with a person who is quick to switch hats from stage manager to condescending President with aplomb. I can handle it. It's my actors have taken the most abuse. I know it's one of many things that have driven them to have difficulty putting faith in her and her abilities.

The Vice President was present following my first evening of auditions, and against all of my creative and professional judgment suggested I highly consider casting the actress who auditioned that evening. They were wrong for the role in so many ways, whether it be age, appearance, or the noticeable resume-fanning inability to actually be directed. He said it would be a politically strong move. It would inspire members of our main community theatre competition to come out.

How could I have known at the time that this would merely be a taste of things to come? The Board members meet once a month and I have it on good authority that my show was brought into question during at least one of those. In fact the minutes from those meetings are still not posted on their website, as per the requirement. I know that there were plenty of behind-the-scenes attempts to intrude on the progress of my show.

They were propelled forward by the theatre's Promotions Director. His squeaky clean family show opened the season. I suspect that he offered himself to that title to have the reins over his own production. He hasn't seen fit to contribute to the promotion of my show. I have worked myself ragged trying to inspire a promotions team to get the word out about my upcoming production. I can only do so much, and even without the assistance of the above individual, I have still had to jump through hoops to get where I have.

His second in command on that play is the theatre's nit-picky, but seemingly experienced Technical Director. He flashes his resume and credentials faster than you can ask the time of day. He's young and full of young dispositions. I have loathed his presence and had difficulty navigating all of the hurdles he has swung my way. I hashed it out with him last weekend. We are both cooks who realize there are not enough sous chefs to go around.

Since my set designer went (still) MIA, I decided to move ahead without her and to commit to my own design with a good friend of mine who is handy with construction-related matters. I have slowly but surely been adding touches after touches to my set, and it is really coming together. I am out quite a bit of cash and some of my house looks a tad rifled through. All of this is the cost of doing local theatre, and a particularly fun aspect.

He decided to add a piece of input about the set - a decent one. Basically the equivalent procedure of someone telling Wyclef Jean that Lauryn's lyrics needed one time. Whoever that was had better have gotten full credit for songwriting, because that's where I am. Immediately I get this unrequested sketch of my set, word for word from my own set-up plus this guy's slight additions, an opportunistic email checking on what sort of playbill credit can be expecting, as well as a call from the VP of the Board wanting to make sure I am doling out credit appropriately.

It looks like no one can understand that I might actually have a perfect handle on everything. I am over-extended, but my boat is not sinking. The few people I have working with me have given their all, and things are going remarkably well. Last minute ride jumpers are really rubbing me the wrong way. I am caught between having a dishonest credit scroll or missing out on one small touch that would add another bit of oomph to the proceedings.

The politics that have sponsored all of this is pushing me more and more away from continued involvement. Not everything needs to be put to a committee and I don't think it's right that someone who has been out of the loop should be able to hop in and start pushing people around.

Only eleven more days until this play limps across the finish line to opening night, back strong, head up high, and wearing its bruises proudly.

1 comment:

  1. ...I wonder if there's another venue who would respect your vision and craft more than this one? Or is this the edgiest that G'ville gets?

    Hats off to you, sir, for weathering this storm.

    ReplyDelete