22 May 2011

training wheels.

I work for Radio $hack.

When my acquaintance-friend first recommended I apply my knee-jerk reaction was wow, are they still in business? It took plenty of willpower and trust in myself that I would be able to harness my innate ability to find diamonds where only shit and zirconium exist.

Even a cursory search through Yelp or other citizen review pages shows the conceit that company's reputation is miserable at best. The job itself is constantly in the war zone. For some, we are hated on par with car salesmen and telemarketers. The huge turnover rate is well known and the store I work is no exception. I have seen the passage of three of the original employees who pre-dated me, five others in the meanwhile, and we're awaiting the introduction of our third store manager. A desperate hunt is underway after the complete burn-out of one and the legally questionable activities of another.

We are the skeleton crew with a figurehead of a quickly promoted co-worker who has my tenure beat by only four or five months. I have plenty reason to believe I might do a better job. All of my recent work horoscopes I get from my horoscope e-mail newsletter of choice have suggested I resurrect the ol' resume and keep in mind the bigger picture implications of my present situation . . . .

2 comments:

  1. example: "You're able to tell the solid gold from the sparkly fool's stuff, which is extremely valuable in the world of work. Hold out for the real deal and help people close to you do the same. Spotting the impostor early on will make the process a lot less painful for everyone involved."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You're able to tell the solid gold from the sparkly fool's stuff"

    you are genuine and can spot that in others....so true

    ReplyDelete