22 May 2011

charmed third.

Fortunately I have found another project to focus my waning energy and attention. My other recent endeavors have been limited to two cameraman gigs over the past year. They were both differently exciting projects, but they merely whet the artistic appetite. I have also nearly doubled my blog activity from during the preceding four years in that time, focusing on writing more and certainly working out my photographic muscles with the digital posts seen here, those left unpublished, and innumerable exciting new-style Polaroid snatches.

Two weeks ago I submitted a show for the upcoming season at a local theater - one of only three not associated with the college (unless the cafeteria-like setting of at least one of the regional towns counts). If we subtract the paid professional theater and remove the one that services the geriatric demands of the predictable, albeit well-funded community theater then do the math, this is the only place for someone like me.

But there's still a submission process and even there I have had to do a hard sell. I have batted there two for two critically and according to audience response, but only after fighting to get my shows on the stage. My first two were plays that became movies I saw and adored for one reason or another. The first show became hexed by art reflecting life and its counterpoint and the second almost nearly imploded as the burden of life committed itself to my production like an angry cancer.

My new show was selected by me sight unseen - hence, a new approach. I knew I wanted to avoid the film from play aspect. There is an intense strain and stress of selecting a show to marry. You don't know it 'til you've been there. I feel I know my strengths and weaknesses very well, and I found a means to bring that to making my choice.

The show is my first comedy. Yes, dark. In fact, it's pitch black comedy with tongue firmly in cheek, dripping with satiric blood. And there are plenty of screwball moments available therein. I have always been drawn to dark material. I am sure it says something about my soul. And I am comfortable with that. My first show was called an emotional horror show by one playgoer, the second is accurately defined as a psychological horror show, and this one is a bit like a Food Network show as hosted by a Stepford wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment