12 May 2011

#1 crush

a song that reminds you of your first crush

I got into the whole opposite sex interest at a very early age. Pre-school and kindergarten were a veritable girl haven for me. Modesty aside, I considered nearly every female my girlfriend except for that bitch whose name I couldn't pronounce. Generally I wasn't as confounded by girls as most of my compatriots were. I was faux-married by first grade, into older third grade girls soon afterward, and crushing on camp counselor cum swim instructor Melissa by the summer between third and fourth grade. But that said, I can't for the life of me remember my first crush. I remember the early grade school girlfriends, flames, and random hookups through the years, but my memory hits the spin cycle very fast after that. That doesn't mean I don't know what it feels like to me. I would say Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' American Girl is tangled up in melodrama, sun drenched spirit, and misunderstanding that feels exactly like young love to me. The song is the stuff of urban legend, Silence of the Lambs, and a revelation toward youthful romantic longing.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love your writing style, and I think you hit the nail right on the head. American Girl is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete