03 May 2011

sad clown

a song that you listen to when you’re sad

“It all depends on how we look at things, and not on how they are themselves.”
–Carl Jung


Teenagers are typically moody. The transition from youthful innocence and ignorant bliss quickly became full realization that I was caught in the stranglehold of my uncomfortable body and the prison of my household. I wanted escape from 85% of my circumstances, but had zero ability to get beyond the vicinity of my environs much like a tightly chained dog might feel in the backyard as it watches other neighbor dogs exploring and enjoying themselves. From situations like this, one can build up an astounding patience with a reserve for later.

Zip ahead ten years. Real world events create a ripple effect that incites a bi-polar response. The immediate fear, sadness, and rage of September 11th 2001 likewise inspired patriotic union both false and genuine like I had never witnessed before. The prospect of the whole matter was much too hard to harness and everything felt completely out of control. It's that teenager response infinitely magnified.

Though the circumstances are world's apart, each one of us comes uniquely equipped or ill-equipped for each and every step in our lives, entirely contingent upon what has come before and in many ways based on our response at each pot-hole and each proverbial earthquake. Hope reminds us that the negative situations we become enveloped within are not permanent. Positive thinking at its best fills that empty glass for us, whether or not we choose to drink from it.


Bak skyene er himmelen alltid blå.
-Norwegian Proverb, meaning:
Behind the clouds the sky is always blue.

Sadness comes in a variety of packages.

These days I sing too much, laugh too hard, and live and love too intensely to allow myself to get bogged down with much sadness. So, instead of focusing on music I listen to when I am sad, I feel it would be more appropriate to suggest some tunes that I think get it right.

Break Your Heart
And So it Goes
Eyes Without a Face
My Immortal
Holding Back the Years
When it Don't Come Easy
Gloomy Sunday
It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday
A Whiter Shade of Pale
Lost Cause
If I Were Smart
Landslide
All the Wild Horses
Why?

.

2 comments:

  1. great post. I absolutely love that quote from Carl Jung. Thanks for sharing it. x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could NEVER sing too much, and I love that you put the norwegian quote in there.

    ReplyDelete