24 February 2011

introduce yourself

introduce yourself
-Faith No More



'Introduce yourself,' or some variation therein has been a part of the job interview process for some time now. I believe it was added as part of the politically correct era, as the corporate world began to recognize that there might be individuals hiding behind all of those buzzwords. So often I have found myself faced with that question, whether during an interview or even as part of the slightly reworded social introduction, and I could feel all of the lumbar in my back steadily stopping its support of me.

Over time I have been through one existential crisis after another. Perhaps I can blame my parents for using the well-worn 'who do you think you are' phrase on me so many times during my youth. Or maybe it's the inner conflict I have had between my dreams and my reality that are to blame. Frequently I have had misgivings about the query itself. It is a loaded time bomb and one that I have been tampering with in this blog and my other writings for many years.

One's identity comes pre-packaged with dispositions generations long and genetic code that designates what the key fight will be in your life, add to that a heaping helping of concepts of nurture and first foundations of how to relate and interact with others, and then throw in the wants and needs that arrive lickety split from the photo negative of that life you begin to lead. It all has varying shades, but the main color is that of the human animal.

I am human and I need to be loved.

Even though I have had a love-hate relationship with Morrissey fans and that moody web they weave, I can fully relate to this concept. Everything comes back to love - or more specifically, passion. I would dare say that I am, or at least strive to be, a passionate person. I have been told I wear it in my gaze and have been known to make people uncomfortable with the intensity of my eye contact. With varying results I have always been a person who stepped wholeheartedly down many roads rarely taken, giving my all until my heart wears of it and seeks something else entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment