17 May 2006

the point

previously published by me elsewhere:

[THESE BLOGS USED TO EXIST ON MYSPACE AND I WROTE THIS IN RESPONSE TO THAT NETWORKING SITE]

I'm a statistic! I've done it. I've become a joiner. Even worse, I've joined this perverse society well known to all of you reading this: myspace.com...

I only recently started perusing this site having been guided here on a whim by a real live friend, earned the old-fashioned way. Now I'm here, and all of the sudden there is more time to waste than ever before.

There seems to be several distinct reasons for people to enter this surprisingly populated subculture. The one that was most obvious to me was evident from the first glance I got a peek at a random selection of pictures.

Folks are looking for a fuck buddy, whether on a temporary or permanent basis really doesn't matter. We'll just go ahead and call it a "relationship".

You know, there's something off-putting about collecting all of your "friends" in one place like this. It becomes almost competitive, like trying to fill up your high school yearbook with signatures, phone numbers, and messages whose sheer length and size of font often determined the seriousness of the relationship.

Then there are the watchers. The people with so few bits of personal information listed, or outrageously exaggerated ages, or what have you, that you know they just signed up to take a closer look at those of us willing to say something, or open up in some fashion.

Is this simply a microcosm of society I was bound to stumble into, or some governments' attempt at recreating a corrupted database that had no back-up?

Whatever the case, I'm here, exploiting this modern technology that gives voices to more people, but always runs the risk of leading more to prop themselves up on a soapbox.

Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment