23 May 2006

in waves

previously published by me elsewhere:

One of the many life or film-related quotes I keep posted on the bulletin board in my office, as a collection of clarity, I came across in one of those books of interviews with directors. It's something Wim Wenders (Wings of Desire) told Allison Anders (Gas Food Lodging) about filmmaking: The production always reflects what the film is about.

Surprisingly to me, this has actually rung reasonably true with some of the projects I have had the most involvement with. For example:

One of my scripts I have made a number of attempts to get produced deals thematically with the cyclical nature of life, and how certain things only comes in waves. Interestingly to me the development of the script, and the interest in it, has also come with similar brief intensity - again and again. Perhaps the nature of the beast.

The movie that recently wrapped took place in and around the teachers at a school, and dealt for the most part with the dread of going back to the grind day-after-day under overwhelming odds. As time wore on, this same feeling was felt by all involved, as we ended up shooting the movie over the course of a full school year, under hardly the best of conditions.

And finally there's the current show. I recently put it together under this same guide - almost by accident. I like to draw connections between things, and sometimes my conclusions are a stretch, but bear with me here. We have had several troubles with keeping locations, and have dealt with many a locked door (whether figurative or literal). What's the main connecting device between our scenes, and an important factor to a main plot point in the story: entrances and exits. What do you know about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment