27 May 2006

communication breakdown

previously published by me elsewhere:

There's a particular aspect of independent filmmaking I got to thinking about during the shoot today. Sometimes the things we do are like some sort of a sociological experience gone wild.

While taking the rare deep breath, and swig of bottled water, I looked around at the general goings-on and I was somewhat fascinated. Not just because things have developed in my life the way my twelve-year-old self would have them, but because we were spending our day in a stairwell. It's damn fascinating to see ten people spending twelve hours in a place few would be caught dead in. What might that cop who quietly passed through have been thinking?

Sometimes it's as if time stops, and you're Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day", living each moment again and again until you get it right. But, of course, the actual takes, and literally shooting the film are just a small portion of what can be called moviemaking.

Much of the rest is made up of various sorts of communication. There's often a lot of focus put on communicating with actors, since they're often seen as substantially different than other human beings, and they all have their "special" little ways of making the magic happen.

I've found that sometimes, on the set, we forget that everyone has their own way of communicating and perceiving what's going down. We're all basically the same regardless of title, or likewise interpreted importance. Today was such a day.
There was a certain amount of tension being felt today, due to a general lack of communication that has developed into this little tumor on our production that has been ignored for far too long.

As one of the main heads of production, it's become glaringly obvious that at least one of our triumvirate, if you will, is always in the dark at any given time.
I'd like to think that the core issue is a general assumption that three people of a similar mindset don't always need to speak about every little detail. Perhaps there's a space for non-vocalized communication in this setup.

As much as I'd like to, I don't know if I buy that, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment