15 April 2012

self control


a song that boosts your confidence/self-esteem

I have always been a sucker for a well presented musical montage or otherwise highly evocative and memorable usage of a song in a movie or TV series. When I think of a song that boosts one's self esteem, I am drawn back to Ally McBeal, that clever late 90s show about sex, romance, and upping the ante on suggesting weird legal cases. There's one particular episode that finds our lead waif in counseling being told to find a theme song. It's the impetus for one of the more recognizable musical moments in the show. Ally's best bud, John Cage, stands alone in the uni-sex bathroom, gazing deeply into the mirror, uncomfortable and twitchy at the sight of his own reflection. But then the first couple tones of his song vibrate through his mind. His demeanor starts to change, his confidence starts to grow, and his esteem becomes erect.

We all have our triggers. We have those songs we can't help but dance to, regardless if we hear them in a club or at the Dollar General. I think of the music that makes me feel like that. The music that fuels my fire. There's always been power in singing to me. For years, I kept that love to myself, but over the past couple I have allowed myself to share it. I say locked underneath that release, that openness you can feel from singing in the shower or behind the wheel is the key to feeling more spirited, more potent, and more alive!

If Rocky had his "Gonna Fly Now" Jennifer Beals had "What a Feeling" and those scamps from The Lion King had the "Lion Sleeps Tonight", I wonder what my song might be. What song has me walking on sunshine, so to speak?

My first instinct is to go with "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder, since it encompasses that whole feeling to me. Music is a world within itself with a language we all understand. It's got a terrific, jazzy hook, and a perfect shuffling beat suitable even for dancing in the middle of the kitchen. It makes me feel wonderful! But so does Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life", inspite of the dingy connotations suggested by some of the lyrics. The spirit of it is palpable, which would explain why so many corporate entities have helped sell it out to the masses. But then there's the most honestly happy song of the past fifteen years: "You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals. Dropping it on your music playlist is one of the surest ways to turn around a rough day, in my mind. MGMT's "Kids" inspires me in similar fashion. It's the song that makes me almost understand the tendancy of crowds to dance straight up and down at concerts. It feels like that. Fun with zero gravity.

Confidence. It's more than simply positive thinking, standing up straight, and walking stronger through the world. It's also leaning in and telling your secrets to someone. Speaking in confidence! Sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves to be who we really are. Be honest with your identity and form the world around you and not trim, trim, and trim yourself to fit the limited world your low confidence, low esteem, and tiny sense of self has granted you. These things happen and they happen quite often. It's a big fight for us all. Turn up the volume and don't let anyone break your stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment