17 January 2012

small wonder


Working at Radio $hack, I am on the front lines of watching consumer electronics batter a whole bevy of things into oblivion. So many things the geeky chain once stocked have been forced to a couple rows in the back of the store, moved to the website where other niche needs go to die, or disappeared altogether. I hear about it everyday, from my heavily low-income and elderly clientele.

I am forced to sell the future and trade-in the past as everything goes wireless and distractingly fast. I often tire of being on the cutting edge in this way. I like old, dusty things with a glow of patina and distinctive charm. Deep edged inconvenience has done the world fine for eons. I wonder when enough is enough. I imagine a time when people have just plenty of newfangled devices and enough attention deficiencies that genuine human interaction is a thing of the past. Science fiction has been threatening it for years, and eventually it will be right.

(72)

No comments:

Post a Comment