21 July 2011

second (re)course.

if I only could be running up that hill
with no problems...
- kate bush

My show can not move forward with any variation of the five people who came to audition. As the producer and director of this show, I should feel resolved with this understanding. Part of me worries that they are my only available casting options. They all bring their own bag of tricks. I will afford them that, however the two months I have until open won't allow me to teach the weakest among them to act, much less bring what's necessary to give this fine play its due.

As soon as I realized that my auditions would consist of one phone-in, one slummin'-it, and three pity parties, I resolved to personally contact specific actors from the Facebook event list who had indicated their likely or Facebook-definitive attendance. It is certainly an act of desperation, but being at the helm of such a fantastic show that the theatre is riding a thousand dollars and one month's rent on, to say little of my own need to deliver certain production quality, it is a harsh necessity. The personal, intimate touch has often been a trademark of my productions, so I hope my cold-call (if you will) e-mails aren't too off putting. But what other choice have I?

No comments:

Post a Comment