20 July 2011

feast. famine.

After the meager turn-out for the first night of auditions, desperate times called for adjacent measures. I decided to drop an e-mail to one of the directors of this past season. There were a lot of creative choices left unmade and leisure instead of focus in the on-stage results in their show, but I knew I could hone the skills of a couple of the actors in it - in a pinch.

I asked if they'd be amenable to getting the word out about my second night of auditions to their cast. I didn't say which cast, since desperation doesn't need to be without discretion. I am truly glad I did, since that director, and two of that show's cast made up seventy-five percent of my second night's gleaming hope.

The final quarter was held by an old friend of mine, who I have known for six years now and who I have directed before, but who really phoned in the audition. If I didn't know him, it would appear as if he didn't give an in-flight fuck about my show. My friendship with this guy is not exactly a casualty of the nuclear fall-out from the divorce, but it's taken injury and hasn't been the same since. His personality suggests diplomacy, but his attitude proves his favoring of my late-other-half.

One friend of mine, who is very supportive of this show, said to me: I don't envy you having to cast this show. I know they didn't mean: because practically no one is going to come out for it. I know this is a fantastic play, I feel intensely good about the direction I am going with it, and my previous shows hold a positive history amongst local theatre-knowers. I could go crazy if I continue to try and discern why the party was such a bust. So, I'll resist the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment