15 August 2011

dining in

Following conflict upon conflicts, out of town trips, recasting, illness, and bombardment and threats to shut the show down, after half a month I had my full cast assembled in one location for the first time Saturday night. Plus for the first time in weeks, we even had full access to the theatre as opposed to random last minute living rooms and far too public venues. Before the first lines of dialogue were delivered, I knew to expect the truth of how bad off the production could be five or six weeks out from show.

I have been working tirelessly to keep the absent actors in the loop, and have given directions they can use in their own at-distance preparation. And I have done what I could to keep cohesion with the show for those who have been most consistently available, so as to seal the gaping hole blowing cold air in toward our show. The instant connection at first meeting of two of my actors, and the positive rhythm of their first official read together, proved to me that much of this effort has seen results.

If the production showed its pulse on Saturday then last night's rehearsal revealed its heart. My girlfriend and I had everyone over to our apartment, for one of three remaining off-site rehearsals, due to the geezer man's show being in Hell Week at the theatre. A comfortable, welcoming home, a little bit of food and alcohol, some apropos music, and a fantastic script were elements of the recipe for two and a half hours of interlaced stories, laughter, and true discovery of character.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds beautiful. Congrats! PS - I'm liking your girlfriend more and more with each passing moment. I mean, I've always liked her...but she seems so supportive and nurturing. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete