11 April 2011

don't panic

a song that makes you fall asleep


At first glance, a subject like a song that makes you fall asleep comes fully equipped with negative connotations. Tell me, please, what bores you to tears. I certainly don't see it like that, especially as someone who knows years of difficulty sleeping, whether from fear of his own subconscious, ill-fitting life choices, or myriad other reasons why closed eyes would be a rarity. Deep sleep is a very special circumstance one should never take for granted. I even find plenty to sing about seemingly passing out guilt-free in the middle of the afternoon, perhaps to the sound of the rain, the ceiling fan, or the soft breathing of your partner. Finding the right psychological head space to chill the fuck out is imperative.

In late-1993 I probably had fifteen or twenty CD's. Being a music collector, format changes have always pissed me off. There was no way I could afford to transfer my several hundred cassettes to CD. At that time I was trying to be selective about what I would have on CD and what would be more worthy of tape purchase/recording. I had my Pearl Jam, my Ministry, my They Might Be Giants, my Pixies, and my Queen. Then I discovered this band that didn't sound like anything else I owned, with perhaps the exception of those Cowboy Junkies and my then warbled 10,000 Maniacs tapes that made Natalie Merchant sound like she was immersed in water.

That band was October Project, an upstate New York group who once toured with Jeff Buckley before he sang his final Hallelujah and Sarah McLachlan before she became all successful and a complete yawner. Honestly, their entire first album suits my requirements for this post, but Grooveshark has only a couple tracks from it, to say nothing of a bunch of songs misappropriated to them. Needless to say, not many people know them. A couple years ago I was pleased to discover that a good friend of mine and lead in my theatrical horror show was himself a closet fan.

1 comment:

  1. Never ever heard of them, now I have and ....wow. I could fall asleep to this.

    ReplyDelete