18 June 2006

the sequel

previously published by me elsewhere:

[THESE BLOGS USED TO EXIST ON MYSPACE AND I WROTE THIS IN RESPONSE TO THAT NETWORKING SITE]

Tonight, after a month here, I showed a couple real life friends what the whole Myspace thing was all about. One of them fears the identity threats possibly available here, and the other doesn't really have the time to spend on-line that an addiction like Myspace demands.

What's the deal with becoming a recruiter, or spreading the Myspace propaganda to others? Do we all communicate better if we have a list of each other's favorite things to refer to?

Going in I knew Myspace as little more than a place for the lonely, the bored, and the perverts of the world, which are all groups I have identified with at one time or another during my lifetime.

In my mind, it had become somewhat of a buzzword by the mainstream media and novelty t-shirts representing the site as certain downfall of our culture. I decided to join up as a whim, and of course to join in on the freefall.

I don't know if any of my pre-conceptions about what this virtual community is all about are wrong, but I guess I have gotten the chance to see it as something with more potential than that.

For example, we are creating a Myspace account for the current movie I'm working on, as one of the many marketing tools we have in mind.

Also, I have gotten back in touch with several people who have been absent from my life for over ten years. There's a certain amount of forcing fate within re-connecting with people you never would have without the site.

Does it matter, really?

No comments:

Post a Comment