03 February 2012

satisfaction: suggested


An actor friend of mine recently caught the photography bug. I've known him for nearly seven years, and we've worked on innumerable projects together, so I realize his sense of craft and dedication. It is just that high expectation work ethic that we both share that explains why we continue to work on productions together. I can assure you many others simply couldn't keep up.

Sometimes I think people initially take up their interests due to boredom whether we're talking about interacting and canoodling with others or merely developing hobbies. My friend's photo explosion seemed to manifest overnight as endless streams of pictures of his girlfriend on his smartphone began showing up, everywhere. Recently he's been going on about wanting fancier camera equipment, as a means to hone his chops.

I know this feeling. I fully understand this longing to obtain and to compare my toys with others. However, one thing that I have learned along the way, as someone who grew up growing an interest in photography as a child behind a relatively useless 110 camera or the occasional Polaroid, when they were still in vogue, is that there will always be bigger and better tools. It's up to the artist to push the limits of their current situation and their present means to an end. And simply: create.

(97)

No comments:

Post a Comment