24 January 2011

the eX-factor

I haven't seen David Fincher's recent Facebook movie, but I get the inkling that part of the reason the flick is receiving the generous reviews relates to its extremely topical nature. For many of us, Facebook is that monster that swooped out of nowhere, devouring not only Myspace and its lesser known 'social network' compatriots, but also the way we all qualify our lives and our worlds. We 'like' far more things than we ever thought feasible, we over-share with aplomb, we intensify our feelings for mass support, we erase past ills for the want of another individual in our human name-face-serial number queue, and we keep others well past their expiration date in the hopes to not offend, isolate, or do any of those other wonderful things we do so well in the 'real world'.

Facebook certainly has changed the fabric of our interactions and I don't think it's solely due to the 'social network' status either, because before many of us arrived there we were on Friendster, Myspace and myriad others. I had several different accounts before hand, but was only active with Myspace, which initially seemed little more than a place for 'tweens, teens, and those two feet from high school graduation. With all of the flash and fuss put in all of the wrong places, Myspace really was a disappointment as an addiction.

On the other hand, Facebook was busy gaining acknowledgement and becoming embraced by an older crowd. Something about it seemed better. By comparison all of the bling of any given Myspace page was now far more streamlined. Gone were those slow to load, exhaustive journeys into website amateurism that so often burst instantly into irritating song samples. Everything seemed to become more about the words people chose to express themselves or the images they chose to share.

Honestly, at first glance it was quite refreshing. If Myspace was one type of an on-line animal, it soon became clear that Facebook was more of an out-and-out plague beast. Myspace wasn't for everyone, but 'everyone needed to be on Facebook'. Relatives young and old started to join. It soon became a litmus test for regular societal membership and meaning, as event invitations and photo shares only seemed to be for those who were connected. Facebook seemed to make life so much simpler, organizing everyone you know, once knew, wish you could know better, bumped into in an elevator, or those with whom you share an interest in spoons into this live action, living, breathing address book.

It has often called into question the meaning of the word 'friend', and it certainly does for me these days. I am reminded of arguably the best Simpsons episode: 'El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)'. It's the one wherein Homer's searching for his soul mate. One particular conversation in Moe's Bar demonstrates just how many nuanced relationships really exist (friend, colleague, compatriot, well-wisher, etc.). In a place like Facebook all of these people get lost together in one bundle, seemingly equalized based on when they decide to post something new.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't given it too much thought until I read your post but... I think I really hate facebook. Hahaha. I mean, I remember back when mp3 players came out and I hated those too until they virtually became a necessity (I couldn't very well go vagabonding around the globe with a binder full of cd's now could I?) And I still find myself lamenting the birth of email and trying to reverse it's effects by writing people handwritten letters to send by snail mail (my own little REVOLUTION).... and facebook well... I am sooo glad I deleted mine. Because the people in my life who are really friends know how to get a hold of me without facebook. :) And that's the way I like it. Now if only I could convince my teddy bear of the same.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like facebook more now that I have stripped it down to the core. Only people I know, and have deep connections with. I need to get a shirt that says "its just facebook" for the ones complaining that I dropped them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...brings to mind this question of the fault of the rat as it wanders the maze.

    Facebook has certainly boiled down our friend-to-friend interactions in not-so-healthy ways.

    But we are just rats following the maze set out for us...or are we?

    ReplyDelete