07 November 2008

carbon copy

I completely stopped writing here a few months ago. It was a deliberate action, even though I'd been - for all intents and purposes - maintaining a personal blog for two and a half years. I've instead begun working on entries for a professional site that should be up and running in the near future.

In the meanwhile, though, "Pallid" has passed this along via their page:

“HAVE YOU EVER . . .?”

Underline the things you’ve done and will admit to.

1. Started your own blog

*twice, but this second one became an extension of the first.

2. Slept under the stars

*I can pretty well fall asleep anywhere, plus I was sent away to camp as a kid several times.

3. Played in a band

*not the cool kind, though - I was in school band from middle school and into high school when it morphed into marching band.

4. Visited Hawaii

*only in my dreams and my dreams of a close friend who lives there.

5. Watched a meteor shower

*on several occasions, although the most recent was not as astounding as one I saw in 2003.

6. Given more than you can afford to charity

*oh, yes! there's something about charity that always seems more important than the electric company.

7. Been to Disneyland/world

*Disney World - three times, I think. there are much better ways to spend one's time.

8. Climbed a mountain

*as long as hiking a mountain counts, because I can't say I ventured Everest.

9. Held a praying mantis

*I think so. it was a kid thing. I was more into rolly-polly's, though.

10. Sang a solo

*only in the shower.

11. Bungee jumped

*likely won't either.

12. Visited Paris

*I guess this is where the list depresses me.

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea

*not deep into the ocean, but at the beach and on a boat in an inlet.

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch

*I've lost much of it, but I taught myself a bit of piano via a harmonium (basically a pipe organ).

15. Adopted a child

*a sponsor child like you see on TV.

16. Had food poisoning

*shut up.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty

*nope, but I have been to the top of the Empire State Building.

18. Grown your own vegetables

*in a plastic cup in fifth grade.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France

*ugh - stop it with the international stuff.

20. Slept on an overnight train

*plan to - it's very Hitchockian!

21. Had a pillow fight

*yeah, but can't remember what the point was.

22. Hitch hiked

*no, but held out thumb when my mom's car had a flat in the middle of nowhere many eons ago.

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill

*from school, from work, from life . . . it's the oldest excuse in the book.

24. Built a snow fort

*ahhhhhhh. yes.

25. Held a lamb

*a lamb chop counts?

26. Gone skinny dipping

*hehe.

27. Run a Marathon

*don't foresee it either.

28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice

*damn Europe!

29. Seen a total eclipse

*yes ... and love the Bonnie Tyler song too.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset

*both!!!

31. Hit a home run

*in little league I was more a hustler than a consistent enough hitter for such a lineup, but I did get one in kickball.

32. Been on a cruise

*no thank you.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person

*nah.

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors

*I barely know their names.

35. Seen an Amish community

*from afar driving through New England.

36. Taught yourself a new language

*still working on English.

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied

*haha ... as if that was the point.

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person

*again with the Italy! who wrote this thing?

39. Gone rock climbing

*and repelling ... great fun!!

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David

*nope.

41. Sung karaoke

*only briefly ... it was a party pass the mic situation.

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt

*that just sounds naughty.

43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant

*no, but that doesn't mean I've been stingy with strangers. I've given a stranger cab fare before.

44. Visited Africa

*not even the completely wrong Toto version.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight

*yes ... so much better than during sunlight.

46. Been transported in an ambulance

*no ... just the family car at high speeds when I was real little.

47. Had your portrait painted

*I haven't even had one of those caricatures done.

48. Gone deep sea fishing

*nope, but I've eaten plenty of its yummy offerings.

49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person

*some person who travelled to Italy wrote this, didn't they?

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris

*oh, and they just went to France too.

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling

*snorkeling in the Florida Keys and some springs where I lost my flipper.

52. Kissed in the rain

*for sure.

53. Played in the mud

*a lot as a child. in fact, went down a natural mudslide as well.

54. Gone to a drive-in theater

*never saw a movie there, but I do believe I've been to one.

55. Been in a movie

*nothing anyone has ever seen. I was an extra.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China

*no tour of Asia for me. it seems like it'd be quite a remarkable sight.

57. Started a business

*presently ... for maybe the third time.

58. Taken a martial arts class

*watched.

59. Visited Russia

*almost went to this place called Moldova in a student exchange thing in high school.

60. Served at a soup kitchen

*is there a strict definition of soup kitchen going around, because I definitely served soup multiple times at a homeless shelter. we also did spaghetti, but spaghetti kitchen sounds more like a restaurant than soup kitchen.

61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies

*bought-bought-bought. I want more now. thanks.

62. Gone whale watching

*no, but I hear Maine is a good place to do this.

63. Gotten flowers for no reason

*does this mean from someone or given to someone? either way, I think it's a yes.

64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma

*no ... I guess I'm selfish. I get all tense getting blood tests.

65. Gone sky diving

*it looks much better from the ground, I think.

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp

*where the hell did this one come from?

67. Bounced a check

*I don't think I want to know someone who hasn't.

68. Flown in a helicopter

*I've always wanted to, although I hear it's unbareably loud.

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy

*I actually have a strange collection of less than favorite childhood toys. I guess I could say yes, though. I could qualify a couple of those things like this.

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial

*yes. it's one of my favorite places in Washington D.C.

71. Eaten Caviar

*sure. I could do without it again.

72. Pieced a quilt

*merely slept under one.

73. Stood in Times Square

*yup. until I was knocked down. nah, I'm kidding. I do love New York, though and it's so iconic, but it's hardly my favorite place in NYC.

74. Toured the Everglades

*this sounds like an airboat ride. hmm.

75. Been fired from a job

*not a pleasant experience.

76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London

*would love to go to London!

77. Broken a bone

*luckily not.

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle

*only the video game simulator version.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person

*can't say I have.

80. Published a book

*no, but I'm copywritten several times over.

81. Visited the Vatican

*again!

82. Bought a brand new car

*yup, and just paid it off too!

83. Walked in Jerusalem

*is that safe?

84. Had your picture in the newspaper

*not the newspaper so much as a variety of little know rags.

85. Read the entire Bible

*I won't lie ... I skimmed, so I wouldn't say I've read the whole thing. what I do know is it sags in the middle and has a tacked on third act.

86. Visited the White House

*not inside.

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating

*why does question 87 follow 86? is that coincidental?

88. Had chickenpox

*in kindergarten or first grade.

89. Saved someone’s life

*theoretically - in a counseling fashion, although I could hardly bold it just for that.

90. Sat on a jury

*was signed up for one, but we were cancelled.

91. Met someone famous

*as long as famous has a wide birth.

92. Joined a book club

*and realized I don't read enough books I also want to own to be in a book club. wait, this could also be construed as the reading circle type book club. I meant the buying books by mail sort. hmm, interesting.

93. Lost a loved one

*this can be taken in many ways and in many ways I can say yes.

94. Had a baby

*funny phrasing.

95. Seen the Alamo in person

*I have no interest in this.

96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake

*I've never been to Utah.

97. Been involved in a law suit

*just no.

98. Owned a cell phone

*yes. haven't we all at this point?

99. Been stung by a bee

*I actually don't think so. even as a kid.

SO NOW ... How about you?

2 comments:

  1. Long time no blogging comments...Sorry. I'm existing in a weird vacuum at the moment. But I'm reposting your "Have You Ever" somewhere...maybe my MS blog?

    I'm off to answer them.
    Thanks for giving me something fun to do with my Sunday morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo - good times. can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete